Happy Mother’s Day to all of the moms out there! I’m so grateful for my mom, for everything she has done for me and all of the ways she supports me. It is a great feeling to know that no matter what, I can go to my mom with anything and she will be there for me. She has taught me so much about life, and I just wanted to share just a few of the lessons that my mom has taught me over the years that I think are pretty much universal.
1. Be generous with your time, with your love, and with your money. You gain nothing from keeping everything to yourself.
2. You can never take too many pictures.
3. Your brother is the best friend you will ever have. Treat him well.
4. Take great joy in simple things.
5. Wake up early. The morning is the best time of the day.
6. Preventative healthcare will save your life. Go to the doctor for check-ups. Learn what you might be at risk for. Take care of your body.
7. Also, make sure you do your monthly breast self-exams.
8. Do the right thing, the hard thing, the thing that no one else is brave enough to do.
9. If someone in your life is toxic to you, there is no reason to keep them in your life. Cutting them out of your life might be one of the hardest things you ever do, but it will also be one of the best things you will ever do for yourself.
10. Start Christmas shopping early.
11. Christmas is the best time of the whole year. Enjoy it and don’t stress about it.
12. There is always a reason to smile and be happy.
13. Stand up for yourself and for what you believe in.
14. Be good to yourself.
15. One of the best ways to do this is with a good book and a bubble bath.
16. Spend quality time with the people you love.
17. Good things happen to people who work hard and don’t give up. Don’t sit around and wait.
18. You don’t need makeup.
19. But take care of your skin (seriously, my mom has amazing skin and she says she owes it all to moisturizer, lots of water, and facials).
20. There is beauty everywhere.
21. Birthdays, anniversaries, and holidays are a big deal. Celebrate them.
22. Actually, celebrate everything you possibly can think of.
23. Ice cream makes everything better.
24. Go out of your way to be nice to people.
25. Don’t do anything half-ass. Whatever it is – your career, a hobby, your relationships – give it everything you’ve got.
26. If you love someone, tell them. Often. Like you mean it.
27. If it doesn’t feel right, it’s not right.
28. Be silly.
29. Invest in good bras.
30. All you need are a few really good friends.
31. Travel as much as you can.
32. Jealousy is the ugliest emotion there is. Don’t compare yourself to others.
33. Pack up your lunch before you go to bed. It will make the mornings a lot easier.
34. Wear sunscreen.
35. Dress up whenever you want.
36. Alway show up early.
37. No education is ever wasted. Learn as much as you can, and read as much as you can.
38. Do what you love. Love what you do.
39. Stay positive and always hope for the best.
40. Don’t bother with high heels.
41. Always have a snack handy.
42. Be yourself.
43. Your kids won’t remember how dusty the house was. They will remember you sitting on the floor, playing with them. They will remember eating popcorn and watching movies in your bed. They will remember camping in the living room.
44. So keep your priorities straight. The laundry can wait.
45. Live within your means. Don’t rely on credit cards.
46. And don’t spend everything you earn. Build up a savings account, even if you can only save a few dollars per week.
47. Trust your gut.
48. The beach is good for your soul.
49. You can do anything you set your mind to.
50. Appreciate everything.
My mom is pretty amazing. I am on my way to New York to see her right now! Happy Mother’s Day!