Thank you Amanda, The Lady Okie, for being so generous with your blog post ideas!
I’m not one to get into Valentine’s Day, but this week got me feeling all of the feels about Nick and our life together:
1. When you met: June 2007
2. How did you meet? One of my friends invited me out with some of her friends to the movies and TGI Fridays. I was not in the mood for going out, I had sworn off dating for a while, and I had already seen the movie – Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End. But my friend told me about this guy Nick that was coming and I was curious to meet him. Plus, I love everything related to Pirates of the Caribbean. So even though wasn’t in the mood, I felt a pull to go out that night.
When Nick’s hair gets long, it sticks straight up. I instantly noticed Nick’s long red hair as we all were going into the movie. It was the summer and his only job at the time in the Navy was to go to college, so I guess he was being lazy about cutting it.
However, Nick didn’t even notice that I was in the group until everyone sat down to eat dinner at the restaurant after the movie. Way to make a girl feel special. We sat next to each other, so we ended up talking a lot that night.
3. First date: July 28, 2007. The only way I remember that is because I sent my friend an email with every single detail as soon as I got home, so I was able to check later. Nick picked me up at my parents’ house and came inside to shake my dad’s hand. Then we went to dinner and a movie. Years later we both admitted that we wanted to go to the movies for our first date because we were nervous and shy and you don’t have to talk during movies. But as it turned out, we had plenty to talk about, because we ended up talking until 4 in the morning in my parents’ house.
4. Date you got engaged: December 26, 2011 (full story here!)
5. Marriage anniversary: August 23, 2013
6. What is “your song”? We didn’t have a song until our wedding. I was so stressed with wedding stuff that I just asked Nick to pick a song for our first dance. I didn’t even care what it was. When he told me he wanted to use Crazy Love by Van Morrison, I listened to the song and just about died. Now it’s our song.
7. Do you remember the first movie you saw together? Pirates of the Caribbean: At World’s End, on the night we met!
8. First road trip together? One year after we started dating, we took a road trip through California. First we went to Disneyland, then we drove to Yosemite National Park, and finally we drove up to spend some time with Nick’s family. It was a 2-week long trip and for many years that was the longest amount of time we had ever spent together.
Also, see what I mean about Nick’s vacation hair 🙂
9. Who was interested first? I was interested in Nick because I had heard all of these awesome stories about him. Everyone in his group of friends just loved him and had so much respect for him. Later, I met his friends from high school and realized they all had the same kinds of stories and love for him. Anyway, I could tell that he was a genuine, good guy – the strong and silent type. I wanted to get to know him, but I was awkward. He was interested in me because he says I seemed “different.” That’s all he says about it. Typical Nick.
After that first night at the movies, we were both interested in getting to know each other but we were both so shy. After a couple of months of only seeing each other when our big group of friends would hang out, Nick asked me out on a date by sending me a message on MySpace. Yup.
The first time he asked me out, I was busy with something with my family that night so I couldn’t go. I was worried he would think I was lying, because I really did want to go on a date with him. Later he told me he decided to ask one more time and he would have left me alone if I said no a second time. I like that he didn’t want to badger me. But good thing I was free the second time!
10. Who said I love you first? Nick did. We were sitting in my car as he was dropping me off back to my college dorm. We had this long, intense conversation. At the end of it he said I love you, and I said it too. We fell hard and fast.
Amanda encouraged everyone on her blog post to answer the questions, so I will also encourage you to comment with your answers to these questions or make your own post! This was fun.